Colors of Nepal and Spreading Smiles are coming together in association with Patan Preservation organization to organize The 2nd Global Photo Walk – I am THE CHANGE, 2016. We urge all levels of photographers to join us in this photo walk for a cause.
The event will take place on September 24th, 2016, is targeted for beginner, amateur and professional photographers who can come to participate in the photo walk which will be conducted in major cities of Nepal along with foreign countries. The proceeds from the same will go directly to the benefit of deprived and promising school children from various parts of the country.
For a Cause
Nepalese school children pervasively face the problem of lack of affordability of quality education, as a result of which dropout rates are very high. We want to leverage the fact that people these days are increasingly taking up photography as a hobby, and couple this with a pressing need in the society. Our team thus aspires to address the financial challenge faced by countless rural school children through the competition that will at first create awareness online regarding the issue, after which the funds collected from 2nd Global Photowalk will be directly contributed towards rebuilding the school.
Objectives of the Proposed Project
Promote photography and fine arts online.
- Create awareness about the bleak educational scenario of Nepal.
- Provide a platform for people to make a positive contribution in the lives of needy children.
- To strive for rural academic development by promoting quality education for the underprivileged and deprived children of Nepal, especially of the backward community.
- To provide scholarship to deserving yet underprivileged school kids and prepare them for further education and lifelong skills required in a professional setting.
- Rebuilding and renovation the school
How the event will be conducted
The photo walk is targeted to be organised internationally in five countries and locally in six places within Nepal. Locally, the event will be organised on same day at the same time. The sole objective of the event is to meet the vision of building a proper school for the students of Dhadkhark village, Nuwakot to gain education. The list of places where photowalk is going to be organized are as follows:
| Internationally :
|| Nationally :
(Note: The list of the places where the photo walk will be organized can increase as we are getting inquiry from many places within Nepal and abroad. )
The collected proceeds will be utilized to cover the following educational and infrastructural aspects of the beneficiary:
- School rebuilding and renovation
- Establish a new montessori room which will be the first one in Dhadkharkh village
- Painting the school buildings and making it child friendly
- Gardening and plantation of trees
We are also conducting a photo competition along with the event. The photograph that has the most creativity with a unique perspective and an interesting subject will be the winner. The theme for the photo competition is divided in three categories:
- Streets of Patan
- Faces of Patan
- Patan in Black and White
Three winners will be selected from Beginner, Amateur and Advance level. Their photographs will be showcased in the exhibition that will be organized a month after this event.
Among the winners, one Grand winner will be chosen to travel to Dhadkharkh Nuwakot, along with the team as the official photographer (all expenses paid) and will be able to witness the work we do in Nuwakot. And with the support of Patan preservation organization, the Grand winner’s photograph will be framed and kept in the Patan museum as the winner of the Second Global Photowalk, 2016.
The reach of this competition will be far and wide, to both online and offline audiences. They include:
- Facebook users in immediate and extended network of Colors of Nepal, Spreading Smiles, Nepalese in Photography (NIP) and Hamro photos.
- Photographers and photography enthusiasts
- Well-wishers and benevolent people
- Celebrities (Photography, Sports, Social, Music)
- Folks directly reached out from Colors of Nepal’s Facebook page, and those of associated companies and organization (see below)
Expected total no. of Participant on photo walk:
The first photo walk I am THE CHANGE, 2015 has already caused steer among the photographers nationally and internationally raising above 300 participants last year. And this year we are collaborating with the elite photography group of Nepal known as Nepalese in Photography (NIP) which has a total of 1.3 lakh members and another open source photography platform Hamrophotos which has 24K members. So this time we are expecting total no 1000+ participants from all over the places and supporters from various organization as well as media houses and celebrities.
Associated Companies and Organizations
Currently, companies and networks from the UK, the USA, Turkey, Cyprus and India have pledged support for the photo walk. We are proudly associated with Patan Preservation Organization who are actively working to preserve and promote Patan.
Abhilasha Nepal, a NGO based in Nepal, is helping Colors of Nepal with all legal advises and other necessary document. We also are open to any individuals who are willing to help us with the promotion of the event or people buying our photographs.
Monitoring and Evaluation
The rebuilding of the school will be closely monitored by Colors Of Nepal and Spreading Smiles team through monthly visits and report analysis. We will ensure that the students’ performance has not lapsed and that the fund is not being misused.
Photowalk event Overview
Pre event Plans:
- Confirmation of Media Partners
- Confirmation of Mentors (photographer and Historian)
- Confirmation of places of tour
- Confirmation from sponsors
- Publicity of events through facebook pages, numerous websites, media partners
- Volunteer registration
- Take order from the event places inside and outside Nepal for T-shirts, badges and stickers.
- Send out banners, T-shirts, badges and stickers to respective places
Event Day Plans:
- Registration of participants
- Welcome remarks from Organizers : Colors of Nepal, Spreading Smiles and Patan Preservation organization
- Division of Groups and assignment of mentors
- Visit the trials that take you deep into the cultural and religious importance of Patan designed by Patan preservation organization (eg:- At Lalitpur : start from Mangalbazar, takes you inside the alleyways inside patan and ends in Mangalbazar.)
- Estimated time hour : 3 hrs
- Closing remarks
- Distribution of token of love to participants
- Distribution of token of love to Mentors
- Distribution of token of love for all the supporters/sponsors
Post event Plans:
- Collection and judging of Photos
- Distribution of E-Certificates for participants
- Competition among the photographs that will be taken during the whole event from all over the place.
Past experience: AN EGG A DAY
We hosted a photo walk on February 7th, 2015 in order to raise fund for the cancer patients at KANTI CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL, which saw participants from various levels and ages and from different organizations. The photo walk took place in Basantapur which was attended by 78 participants which was divided into 3 groups, beginners, amateurs and advanced. The event was covered by the best bloggers of the town, Lexlimbu and an Australian based Nepali newspaper “Solangture”. It was the first photo walk which saw numerous participants from all over the valley.
Past experience: Global photo walk, 2015 – I am the Change
The Global photo walk 2015 was a grand success. We organized the event with Rotaract Club of Baneshwor Royal which took place in April 18th, 2015. Locally, it was organized at the same day and same time in Kathmandu, Nepalgunj, Dharan, Chitwan and Pokhara. Internationally, it was organized in India (Bangalore), Singapore and USA (Los Angeles and Cincinnati). The event was able to witness a staggering amount of participants over 300 collectively. The collected proceeds from the event was donated to the Dhadkhark Primary school to cover the school fees, educational materials, stationery, bags, examination fees and uniforms.
However, a week after this event we had to face the devastating massive earthquake of April 25th, 2015.
Our team was very proactive with the earthquake relief works in the Kathmandu valley as well as Dhadkhark village from the second day of the earthquake. The proceeds of this event helped us in providing support to Dhadkhark village possible, at such a delicate time.